[dpdk-users] Fail to build Memnic in Ubuntu 14.04

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Wed Jan 20 07:49:36 CET 2016

On 1/19/16 10:03 PM, Royce Niu wrote:
> Hi
>
> I want to install an OVS/memnic software in a KVM virtual machine.
>
> For the higher speed, I install memnic/pmd (SR-IOV) instead of virtio,
> since I believe SR-IOV is faster than virtio.
>
> But, I meet some trouble when I build the memnic following the doc (
> http://dpdk.org/doc/memnic-pmd)
>
> I download the most updated software DPDK 2.2.0 and memnic 1.3.
>
> My system is :
> 1. 2 VCPU 2G Mem
> 2. Ubuntu 14.04 64bit
> 3. Updated packages
>

> I build DPDK successfully, but when I build memnic in VM according to the
> doc.

Hello,

The memnic code is not updated since 2014-09-30. I am not sure if it got
replaced by something else in OVS or just fell asleep.

But I think that is why you are getting so insanely many errors, it fell
too far behind DPDK to work.

If you can find an old DPDK released around this time listed here it
might help narrow down if that might be the root cause:

http://dpdk.org/browse/memnic/log/

However a DPDK that old will probably fail to build due to kernel
version issues.

Matthew.