[dpdk-users] Huge pages to be allocated based on number of mbufs

Saurabh Mishra saurabh.globe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 18:54:58 CET 2016

Hi,

We are planning to support virtio, vmxnet3, ixgbe, i40e, bxn2x and SR-IOV
on some of them with DPDK.

We have seen that even if we give correct number of mbufs given the number
hugepages reserved, rte_eth_tx_queue_setup() may still fail with no enough
memory (I saw this on i40evf but worked on virtio and vmxnet3).

We like to know what's the recommended way to determine how many hugepages
we should allocate given the number of mbufs such that queue setup APIs
also don't fail.

Since we will be running on low-end systems too we need to be careful about
reserving hugepages.

Thanks,
/Saurabh