[dpdk-users] DPDK 2.2.0 and RSS and X710

martin_curran-gray at keysight.com martin_curran-gray at keysight.com
Mon Mar 21 10:55:33 CET 2016

Hello,

I've been experimenting with using a symmetric RSS key for my queue allocation based on

http://galsagie.github.io/2015/02/26/dpdk-tips-1/

and

http://www.ndsl.kaist.edu/~kyoungsoo/papers/TR-symRSS.pdf

I've noticed it causes quite an  increase in the "average work load" of my worker cores sitting on the queues, another 1/3 or so,

I've only tested 2 cores per 10G port, will try 4 and some other traffic profiles.

Has anyone else any experience of this behaviour?

Has anyone tried the "Simple Hash" described by Intel in  the data sheet  section 7.1.10.2 of the XL710 controller?

They seem to imply it gives you "a lighter version of the hash function"

Presumably I'm on my own, in terms of writing to registers to use this?

Had a poke around the libraries in the dpdk doc, but couldn't see anything that sprang out to me as how to use this feature?

Any suggestions gratefully received

Thanks

Martin