[dpdk-users] Beginners question: rte_eth_tx_burst, rte_mbuf access synchronization

Matt Laswell laswell at infinite.io
Fri Nov 11 14:45:02 CET 2016

Hi Philipp,

I'm a little unclear what you mean with your comments about adjusting the
refcnt in your mbufs.  You are absolutely correct that rte_eth_tx_burst
doesn't synchronously transmit the packets.  Instead, it puts them in a
ring that is serviced by the poll mode driver.  Eventually, they are handed
off to the NIC, which copies them into its buffer and ultimately sends them
on the wire.

The architecture you've described won't work for the reasons you've
surmised - when you hand a pointer to the pack to the device driver, you
are giving it control of the memory pointed to.  If you continue to modify
its contents at that point, the results will be unpredictable.  Also, it
sounds as though you might really just have 16 pointers to a single packet,
with a reference count of 16.  Since you don't actually have 16 buffers, if
you modify the contents of any one packet, you're modifying them all.

Let me suggest that you might want to rethink your scheme.  Rather than
trying to reverse engineer a way to either make the PMD behave
synchronously or to give you a callback, I would consider prebuilding
packet contents at init time, then allocating mbufs and copying the
contents in.  I suspect you've avoided an approach like this because you'd
like to not copy mostly the same data over and over when you only want to
modify one byte.

An alternative approach would be to use indirect mbufs.  In essence, each
packet you want to send might be made up of three mbufs.  The first is an
indirect mbuf that points to one that contains the common data at the start
of your packets.  The second contains the one byte that you wish to
change.  The third is an indirect mbuf that points to the common data at
the end of your packets.  I haven't used this approach myself, but I
suspect it would let you avoid copying so much data.

- Matt