[dpdk-users] KNI Integration

John Pearson johnpearson555 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 06:25:11 CET 2016

Hi,

I have a DPDK application with two interfaces acting as a load balancer. On
one of the interfaces, I am allocating a KNI interface so that certain
packets can be processed by the kernel. To test I have a DHCP server
connected to the physical port to which KNI is bound.

I'm having 3 issues:

1. kni_config_network_interface function set on the rte_kni_ops struct when
allocating the port is called multiple times when run "ifconfig vEth0 up".
This function is called 2 or 3 times every time.

2. After I receive DHCP, when I ping google.com to test, I get multiple
packets that are duplicates, which are repeats of the same ICMP Sequence
and with message "DUP!" attached (http://unix.stackexchange.com/a/13256)

3. After a while of running the interface KNI and using it process packets,
usually after transmitting 200-300 Pings, the interface "dies out" and
stops reading or sending packets to the kernel.

The statistics for ping:

--- google.com ping statistics ---

302 packets transmitted, 198 received, +95 duplicates, +49 errors, 34%
packet loss, time 310119ms