[dpdk-users] bringing up kni interfaces using netlink

Alex Kiselev kiselev99 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 21:54:23 CEST 2016

Hi!

One part of my problem is solved. I've figured out the cause of renaming
kni interfaces. It was due to linux udev rules.

But the dpdk related part of the problem is still there: I am having troubles
with bringing them up. They are created just fine, I can get their
linux interfaces index, I can add ip addresses to them using the netlink,
but have to wait some time after their creation in order to bring them
up using netlink api.

So, do kni interfaces really need some time to complete some kind of
initialization and only
then can receive "up" netlink commands?

> Hi!
>
> I am trying to use the linux netlink interface with kni interfaces in
> order to bring them up and add ip addresses to them and I am
> experiencing some strange behaviors. Could anyone help me to
> understand what I am doing wrong?
>
> The problem is that I can’t bring kni interfaces up using the netlink
> interface immediately after their creation. What I can is to bring
> them up using the “ip” linux tool or I can bring them up using netlink
> after some time has passed. But when I try to up them immediately
> after the creation they just stay in the “DOWN” state. Also the “ip
> link ls” linux command freezes for about 5-7 seconds after netlink
> commands have sent to up the kni interfaces, and one of kni interfaces
> changes it’s name to the name of one of the pure linux interfaces
> (eth3).
>
> P.S. I am using the DPDP 2.2.0.
>

> --
> --