[dpdk-users] [pktgen]how to set pktgen tx rate and what does it mean

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Sat Oct 29 14:51:41 CEST 2016

> On Oct 28, 2016, at 10:51 PM, Caianning <caianning at huawei.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>         I am using pktgen to send packet.
> As the guide said, I set with cmd "set 0 rate 1" and got 1.19Mpps (pkt size 512B).
> So my question: How to set it to get a specific packet rate, such as 1Mpps or 1Gbps?

If you set the rate close to the value want in a percent then you can use a hidden command to adjust the cycles per TX burst.

use the ‘tx_debug’ command to toggle the display to show more information and one of these is the Cycles per TX. Adjust the right hand number to get closer to the Mpps you want using ‘set <portlist> tx_cycles <value>’ adjusting the value shown. Lower number will go faster and high number will go slower. Remember the the cycles per TX burst value, so you may want to adjust the burst size too.

> Thanks.

Regards,
Keith