[dpdk-users] Redirect DPDK log?

John Ousterhout ouster at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Sep 15 02:52:00 CEST 2016

At first I thought this approach (fmemopen) might work, but now I'm not so
sure. The problem is that fmemopen doesn't provide any sort of notification
when it adds data to the buffer. My application can use a polling approach
where it occasionally checks to see if data has been added, but this has a
serious flaw. Some of the DPDK functions, such as rte_eal_init, can panic
in the face of severe errors: they write information to the log and then
exit the application. In a situation like this, the application will not
have a chance to check for the log messages and relay them onto the
appropriate place, so the log data will be dropped and the application will
exit without leaving behind any information about what happened.

If there were a way to intercept calls to rte_panic, then I could take that
opportunity to flush information from the fmemopen buffer, but I don't see
a way to do that...?

-John-