[dpdk-users] Working of pipeline in a given config file and regarding user-defined actions in IP_PIPELINE application

Nidhia Varghese nidhiavarghese93 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 11:06:44 CEST 2017

Hi all,

I am learning DPDK packet framework library for an APP development. I am
going through the config files and the code. I found the below cfg file in
a DPDK summit ppt. I have some doubts regarding the fields used in the cfg
file.
1.What is the difference between dma_size and key_size?
2. How does the PASS-THROUGH pipeline work with given src_mask?
3. Are the FLOW CLASSIFICATION and ROUTING pipelines using the same key or
hash values?

[PIPELINE0]
type = MASTER
core = 0

[PIPELINE1]
type = PASS-THROUGH
core = 1
pktq_in = RXQ0.0 RXQ1.0 RXQ2.0 RXQ3.0
pktq_out = SWQ0 SWQ1 SWQ2 SWQ3
dma_size = 8
dma_dst_offset = 0
dma_src_offset = 140; headroom (128) + 1st ethertype offset (12) = 140
dma_src_mask = 00000FFF00000FFF; qinq
dma_hash_offset = 8; dma_dst_offset + dma_size = 8

[PIPELINE2]
type = FLOW_CLASSIFICATION
core = 1
pktq_in = SWQ0 SWQ1 SWQ2 SWQ3
pktq_out = SWQ4 SWQ5 SWQ6 SWQ7
n_flows = 16777216; n_flows = 65536
key_size = 8; dma_size = 8
key_offset = 0; dma_dst_offset = 0
hash_offset = 8; dma_hash_offset = 8 flow_id_offset = 64

[PIPELINE3]
type = ROUTING
core = 2
pktq_in = SWQ4 SWQ5 SWQ6 SWQ7
pktq_out = TXQ0.0 TXQ1.0 TXQ2.0 TXQ3.0
n_routes = 4096
l2 = mpls
mpls_color_mark = yes
ip_hdr_offset = 150; headroom (128) + ethernet header (14) + qinq (8) = 150
color_offset = 68

Other than this,
4. How users can add user-defined actions? Can you please give an example,
like push or pop VLAN label from the packet
5. How does port action handler works? How and where can we define actions
for ports?

Thanks for your reply and help.

Nidhia Varghese