[dpdk-users] How to use --virtaddr for multi-process client app.

Ming Fu Ming.Fu at esentire.com
Wed Aug 23 20:35:31 CEST 2017

This is my first try on dpdk. I attached a snort process as an multi-process client similar to the client in the client-server example. The snort receives mbuf from the server process through a dpdk ring. A skeleton client worked, but once linked to snort, it failed in rte_eal_init().

EAL: Detected 48 lcore(s)
EAL: RTE Version: 'DPDK 17.08.0'
PANIC in rte_eal_config_reattach():
Cannot mmap memory for rte_config at [0x7ffff7faf000], got [0x7fffdea94000] - please use '--base-virtaddr' option

Strace show that the mmap() returns a different address than requested. What address should I set the -base-virtaddr to? Is there a way to avoid this kind of problem in general?

Thanks,
Ming