[dpdk-users] Request for assistance with Testpdm Jumbo Frame Support

Chris Paquin cpaquin at redhat.com
Thu Aug 31 20:56:07 CEST 2017

Can anyone help me understand how to setup/configure jumbo frame support
with testpdm? I am not exactly sure of the relationship between hugepages,
jumbo frames, mbuff, and mtu

I do know that according to this doc [1] mbufs must be large enough to hold
the entire received frame and when mbuff is not large enough, the frame is
dropped.

However I cannot set my mbuff high enough to handle an mtu of 9200. Rather
I start receiving failures around 7000. Example failure below.

USER1: create a new mbuf pool <mbuf_pool_socket_0>: n=171456, size=7000,
> socket=0
> RING: Cannot reserve memory for tailq
> EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
>   Cause: Creation of mbuf pool for socket 0 failed: Cannot allocate memory

Unsure how to proceed, VM has 8192GB of RAM and huge page info is below.

grubby --update-kernel=`grubby --default-kernel`
> --args="default_hugepagesz=1GB hugepagesz=1G hugepages=3"

Can someone please help me understand what I am doing wrong here?

As always, thanks in advance.

[1] https://media.readthedocs.org/pdf/dpdk/latest/dpdk.pdf