[dpdk-users] Checksum offloading on gre outer-ip in dpdk-16.11

Eyal Leshem leyal at incapsula.com
Wed Feb 22 14:27:03 CET 2017

Hi ,

After some digging in the i40e driver code in 16.11 I found  the problem -

For checksum offloading on GRE packets  in 16.11  there are 2 more
parameters that need to be set on the mbuf (parameters that are not
required in 16.07):

   1.  The  mbuf->ol_flags  PKT_TX_TUNNEL_GRE  - must be set.
   2.  The mbuf->l2_len  - must  be set to gre header size (4 bytes).

That's in addition to the parmas that should be defined in 16.07 -

   1. mbuf->ol_flags -PKT_TX_OUTER_IPV4| PKT_TX_OUTER_IP_CKSUM
   2. m->outer_l2_len -  (The real L2 header size).
   3. m->outer_l3_len -  (The real L3 header size).

It was much more helpful if those changes were documented  in the
release-notes and not just in a comment inside the driver-code (see
 i40e_parse_tunneling_params function at i40e_rxtx.c).

Thanks

Eyal