[dpdk-users] DPDK beginer: Best way to try out DPDK on a laptop with unsupported NIC

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Tue Jan 31 03:42:49 CET 2017

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 03:20:46PM -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> E1000 emulation is often problematic for DPDK. VMWare's emulation of PCI bus
> does not handle interrupts correctly.
>
> Use virtual NIC's (vmxnet3 and virtio) if at all possible.

vmxnet3 and virtio-net support in DPDK are both broken in VirtualBox. I
usually use VirtualBox instead of VMWare because it doesn't require license
fees. Since none of this is covered in the documentation or on the roadmap to
get fixed in the DPDK virtio-net PMD, it would be difficult for us users to
know about it. But thanks for pointing it out.

Matthew.