[dpdk-users] I need some help regarding dpdk memory allocations

Van Haaren, Harry harry.van.haaren at intel.com
Fri Jun 2 11:20:44 CEST 2017

Hi,

> coming to dpdk is there any difference between mempool and memzone. are
> both are same.
> is any difference is there tell me the difference.

From the API docs, there is a good description of both;

[1] The goal of the memzone allocator is to reserve contiguous portions of physical memory.

[2] A memory pool is an allocator of fixed-size object. It is identified by its name, and uses a ring to store free objects. It provides some other optional services, like a per-core object cache, and an alignment helper to ensure that objects are padded to spread them equally on all RAM channels, ranks, and so on.

As a user of DPDK, the mempool will be the API of interest to allocate/free items.

Hope that helps! -Harry

[1] http://dpdk.org/doc/api/rte__memzone_8h.html
[2] http://dpdk.org/doc/api/rte__mempool_8h.html