[dpdk-users] Packet spacing in DPDK

Shepard Siegel shepard.siegel at atomicrules.com
Fri Jun 9 13:19:22 CEST 2017

Even though DPDK sends packets down to the hardware as fast as possible,
which is a great thing; it can also send down useful metadata. Some
merchant NIC ASICs have hardware to support egress pacing, which their DPDK
PMDs may or may not expose. Last year with our FPGA-based Arkville product,
we developed a prototype "Paced Packet Player" which used TX/egress packet
metadata to determine each individual packet's release to the MAC TX port,
packet-by-packet. To ns precision. On four parallel 100 GbE ports. I
blogged about it here.

http://atomicrules.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/paced-packet-player.html

The point is, that depending on your ability to add some dedicated logic
just ahead of the TX MAC; DPDK's TX metadata can be used to provide egress
packet-pacing to hardware. If or not your particular NIC can use this data
is a function of your NIC hardware and the associated PMD.

-Shep