[dpdk-users] Issue with more Cores assigned: Cannot mmap device resource file

David Coen d.coen at resi.it
Wed Mar 15 15:56:13 CET 2017

Hi Kai, I agree with you.

Hi have quite the same issue, a primary application and a secondary one
running, sometimes, with more than 4 cores.

I'm using DPDK 16.11 on RedHat 6.7.

Till now I solved in this way:

- Disabling ASLR by adding those two lines to "/etc/sysctl.conf":

                # Disable Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR)  (needed
by DPDK)

               kernel.randomize_va_space = 0

- Getting virtual address of the first (the one with the minimum address
value) memory segment returned from the function "rte_eal_get_physmem_layout
()", called from a "dummy" primary     application used only to get this
address.

- Passing the above virtual address as a parameter for the "real" primary
application using the " --base-virtaddr= " dpdk command line option. When
secondary app starts, it all goes well with the specified base address.

I've tested this solution on different servers and it's always ok.

I think that there is some kind of limitation on DPDK primary/secondary
initialization process that could be improved.

Regards,

David