[dpdk-users] OS hang when running helloworld example with two I210 NICs

Hunt, David david.hunt at intel.com
Tue Mar 21 13:19:48 CET 2017

On 15/3/2017 4:55 PM, Michal Michalowski wrote:
> HI,
>
> I have problem running helloworld example. The OS hangs and the only way
> forward is to poweroff the box.
>
> DPDK version 16.11.1
> OS: Ubuntu 16.04 and 14.04
> NICs:
> 18:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network
> Connection (rev 03)
> 24:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network
> Connection (rev 03)
>
> The problem only appears when I have two NICs present. If I bind at
> least one of them to uio_pci_generic and run helloworld the OS hangs.
> If I try to use igb_uio the system hangs when binding the device.
>
> I have narrowed it down a bit. The OS hangs when
> e1000_get_media_type_82575 is executed. Line:   ctrl_ext =
> E1000_READ_REG(hw, E1000_CTRL_EXT);
> That line is reading memory mapped from resource0 of the device.
>
> I have reproduced behaviour just by binding the device to
> uio_pci_generic and putting it in "bus master" mode and the reading from
> it's resour0.
>
> The behaviour is not reproducible with just one NIC in place. Also if
> the devices use igb driver and are in "bus master" I can read from
> resource0.
>
> Has anyone encountered similar problem?
>
> Cheers,
> Michal

Michal,

    Could you post up the output of 'lspci -v' for the two cards?
('lspci -v -s 18:00' and 'lspci -v -s 24:00' should do it).
I'm interested in the "Memory at" output.

I'm using a board here with some i211's with Ubuntu 16.04 and DPDK
16.11.1. All OK so far with igb_uio and helloworld.

Regards,
Dave.