[dpdk-users] Crafting dpdk packet in secondary application and sending them from primary application, multi-process, dpdk

Sushil Adhikari sushil446 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 23:01:24 CEST 2017

I have two dpdk application one primary with "--proc-type=primary" which
does kni packet forwarding(as in kni example application) and a secondary
application with "--proc-type=secondary" whose job is to craft dpdk packets
from raw data and forward them through the memory(buffer) set up in primary
application. I'm having problem allocating mbuf for packet crafting in
secondary application.

To get mbuf what I did was (in secondary application)

struct rte_mbuf *buffer =
rte_pktmbuf_alloc(rte_mempool_lookup("mempool_name"));

but this doesnt give me rte_mbuf rather it hangs the program, this probably
is because I can't allocate memory (rte_mbuf*) in secondary application
from mempool created by primary application.

How can I craft packet on secondary application and how can I send them
through the kni interface created in primary application.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thank you

Sushil