[dpdk-users] PktGen Ethertype

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Tue May 9 10:55:59 CEST 2017

Hi All,

I hope this is a suitable place to ask, if not please point me at
somewhere more appropriate.

I've been reading through the Pktgen docs
(http://pktgen.readthedocs.io/en/latest/commands.html for example) and
I'm trying to find out if I can set the EtherType field in the layer 2
headers to any value I like. I can't seem to find anything on this.

I want to use some Lua scripts to generate traffic with every possible
EtherType (from 0x0000 to 0xFFFF) and send that through a switch and
test that all frames were received on the other side. Is there a
function like pktgen.set_eth_type() so I can wrap it in loop?

// Build an entire frame then just loop over the ethertype for each frame:

build_entire_frame_with_payload();

for (i = 0; i <= 0xFFFF; i++) {

    pktgen.set_eth_type(i);
    send_frame();