[dpdk-users] PktGen Ethertype

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Wed May 10 11:12:48 CEST 2017

On 9 May 2017 at 15:13, Paul Emmerich <emmericp at net.in.tum.de> wrote:

Hi Paul,

> https://github.com/emmericp/MoonGen

> You can have a look at one of the example scripts to see packet modifications in action:
>
> https://github.com/emmericp/MoonGen/blob/master/examples/l3-load-latency.lua
>
> Basically, you can add
>
>    pkt.eth.type = <ethertype> (network byte order)
> or
>    pkt.eth:setType(<ethertype>) (automatic byte order swap)
>
> In the main loop at line 92 where it currently modifies the IP addresses.
> This is still fast because we dynamically build and compile the necessary structs for the protocol stack.
>
> You can also receive packets to find out which ethertypes are dropped (if any), an example of packet reception can be found in this example:
> https://github.com/emmericp/MoonGen/blob/master/examples/quality-of-service-test.lua#L108

I've had my eye on MoonGen already and I was reading the doc's trying
to work out how to do the same with MoonGen and PtkGen. I was still
reading the MoonGen docs though so you've saved me some time!.

That last point about checking which packets were received is critical.

Thanks, I'll give this a go!

Cheers,
James.