[dpdk-users] wrong vermagic in igb_uio.ko

O Mahony, Billy billy.o.mahony at intel.com
Tue Oct 3 18:18:10 CEST 2017

Hi,

I have two kernels installed on my system. One with some local patches applied.

4.9.30-rt20
And
4.9.30-rt20-timers-patch

But regardless of which kernel I boot with when I build DPDK igb_uio always has vermagic from just one kernel. 4.9.30-rt20. Even though the build puts it in a correctly named path.

    # modinfo ./install/lib/modules/4.9.30-rt20-timers-patch/extra/dpdk/igb_uio.ko | grep -i magic
    vermagic:       4.9.30-rt20 SMP preempt mod_unload
    # uname -r
    4.9.30-rt20-timers-patch

I can't see any kernel/vermagic configuration in the various config files. I'm pretty sure I'd figured out before that the dpdk build was pulling this info from /usr/src/linux/.config CONFIG_LOCALVERSION setting but it seems to be ignoring anything I put in that now.

Where /does/ the dpdk build get the kernel version info from?

Cheers,
Billy