[dpdk-users] Assistance please with SR-IOV on Ubuntu/Xen, connecting to i40e VFs from a Virtual Machine.

terry.montague.1980 at btinternet.com terry.montague.1980 at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 12 18:25:13 CEST 2017

Hi there,
I'm trying to get myself off the ground with connecting to VFs on a i40e from a VM Instance.
I'm running Xen on Ubuntu Server - Having bound the device to igb_uio on the host,  I've created the vfs by writing to max_vfs in /sys/bus/pci/devices/<pci address>
After pci-assigning one of the VFs to the VM, from the VM I can see the VF in lspci and I can bind igb_uio to it.
However, when I run pktgen,   I see the system find the the PCI device and probe with the net_i40e_vf driver, but then I see  i40e_init_vf() fail in init_adminq() error code -53 , the cause being i40e_config_asq_regs() is returning -53 as its reading 0xDEADBEEF from the hardware rather than what its actually written to it.
So the hardware is not mapped? Its in reset ? Is there setup that I'm missing ?  The host system is an HP Z420 workstation - with a Xeon E5-1603.
Can anyone offer any assistance ?  I'm close, but not close enough.
Many thanks
Terry