[dpdk-users] Running DPDK application in Linux init level 3

Rosen, Rami rami.rosen at intel.com
Tue Apr 10 21:32:40 CEST 2018

Hi Anan,
You better use the same Grub kernel command line parameters both in
run level 5 and in run level 3.
In order to be able to do so, keep the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX as what you had in init level 5, and assuming you are using one of the popular distros (like Fedora or recent Ubuntus), which runs systemd, the recommended way to what you call "disable the gui" is by a systemd command called systemctl.

So, when the gui mode is enabled, you will get:
systemctl get-default
graphical.target

And to disable the gui you can run:

sudo systemctl enable multi-user.target --force
sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target

After boot, both in run level 3 and in run level 5, you will be able to verify that the kernel command line is as expected with:

cat /proc/cmdline

Regards,
Rami Rosen