[dpdk-users] Setup pktgen as a receiver

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 15:59:46 CEST 2018

On 12 April 2018 at 13:32, Dan Brown <dan.brown.vzw at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to run 2 pktgen instances, on two separate VMs, one act as a
> generator and the other act as the a receiver.
>
> TX is OK,  but for some reason the intended RX pktgen seem to receive no
> packets (RX counters are zero).
>
> With no pktgen/dpdk, both RX and TX interfaces can communicate properly (so
> no network infrastructure level issue I suppose).
>
> The cmd I use to init both ends is:
> './app/x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc/pktgen -c 0x7 -n 1 -- -T -P -m "[1:2].0"'
>
> Then 'start 0' on the TX instance.
>
> Is there anything else I should execute on the RX instance for it to start
> receiving packets?
>
> Some more infrastructure details:
> - Both interface are Intel SR-IOV VFs
> - Hypervisor is VMware ESXi 6.5
> - SR-IOV vSwitches are configured to allow promiscuous mode.
> - Ubuntu 16.04 Guest OSs
> - DPDK 18.02, pktgen 3.4.9

Hi Dan,

Are these two devices in the same layer 2 broadcast domain / layer 3
subnet as each other? When I use two devices in different subnets I
have to first send some gratuitous ARP frames so that the gateway can
find the two Pktgen hosts:

set 0 src ip 10.0.1.1/30  # Gateway device is 10.0.1.2
set 0 dst ip 10.0.2.1
set 0 dst mac a8:0c:0d:7b:f6:e5  # MAC of gateway device

set 1 src ip 10.0.2.1/30  # Gateway device is 10.0.2.2
set 1 dst ip 10.0.1.1
set 1 dst mac a8:0c:0d:7b:f6:e4  # MAC of gateway device

start 0,1 arp gratuitous
start 0,1 arp gratuitous

start 0

Cheers,