[dpdk-users] Efficient inter-VM using DPDK

Tom Barbette barbette at kth.se
Wed Dec 19 09:02:08 CET 2018

Hi all,

We have QEMU/KVM VMs using DPDK internally that we'd like to be able to exchange packets efficiently. Virtio increased performance, but the host side is suffering more than our applications, actually. I guess the default wiring is done using the Linux bridge.

Is OVS-DPDK the way to go? Any other efficient way to exchange packets between "DPDK VMs" that would not lead to this "complicated" setup? We can allow shared memory, and we don't want SR-IOV (way too much exchange for PCIe and actually, the IOMMU itself).

Thanks,
Tom