[dpdk-users] Mellanox mlx5 PMD: is IOMMU used?

Shahaf Shuler shahafs at mellanox.com
Thu Feb 8 07:22:02 CET 2018

Hi Andrew

Thursday, February 8, 2018 5:03 AM, Andrew Theurer:
> My understanding is that the vfio-pci kernel module cannot be loaded for
> Mellanox adapters, and the mlx5_core must stay loaded in the kernel.  Does
> that mean there is no IOMMU used?

Yes, the chip set IOMMU is not being used. it can be used, but this is not a strict requirement to enforce memory protection.
Memory protection and isolation are enforced by the kernel driver and the device.

Mellanox devices has translation engine from VA->PA for registered addresses.
The PMD is working with VA, and registering them to the device through mlx5_core which enforce the protection, pin the memory (If needed) and provide the PA to the device.