[dpdk-users] performance difference between ixgbe and i40e

János Pauer janos.pauer at ericsson.com
Tue Jan 16 16:01:31 CET 2018

Hi all,

I am using OVS with dpdk v16.11. I have two setups for performance measurement, which are almost identical, the only difference is that one setup has i40e driven 10G NICs and the other one has ixgbe driven 10G NICs.
I have MoonGen for packet generating, and testPMD to reflect the traffic. The measurement results are much higher with the ixgbe-driven card. It's about +20% with smaller packet sizes, and more than +40% with bigger packet sizes.
Does anyone have any idea what can cause this? Is there any significant difference between the mentioned drivers?

Thanks and Regards,
János