[dpdk-users] Hairpin with rte_flow?

Adrien Mazarguil adrien.mazarguil at 6wind.com
Wed Nov 7 11:53:29 CET 2018

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 11:25:42AM -1000, Cliff Burdick wrote:
> Does anyone know if it's possible to do a hairpin mode using rte_flow? For
> example, if I send a packet to 10.1.1.1, in tx queue 0, but I also have a
> flow rule to send 10.1.1.1 to rx queue 1, is there a way to get the nic to
> do that without sending the actual packet out? Mellanox appears to support
> a hairpin mode, but it doesn't look like it's through dpdk.

Hairpin on the *same* port cannot be expressed through rte_flow yet. On the
other hand something similar can be achieved using a port representor.

Assuming port 3 is VF and port 4 its representor, with testpmd you could do:

 flow create 3 transfer egress pattern eth / ipv4 dst is 10.1.1.1 / end
     actions port_id id 4 / end
 flow create 3 ingress pattern eth / ipv4 dst is 10.1.1.1 / end
     actions queue index 1 / end

The first rule requests the device to actively route matching egress traffic
from port 3 through the representor (port 4). Since traffic received by a
representor should be fed back to its associated VF, that traffic should be