[dpdk-users] How to receive packets from non-DPDK requests?

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Wed Nov 14 20:09:45 CET 2018

> On Nov 14, 2018, at 1:05 PM, Sungho Hong <maverickjin88 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the reply, but excluding  the ARP,
> Is it possible to receive POSIX TCP or UDP packets using DPDK-application?
>
> Because DPDK application for me right now, only recognizes the packets sent from DPDK only. But by the sound of it, and based on your reply
>
> DPDK can receive packets from non-DPDK correct (POSIX, UDP, TCP)?
> How can we receive any packets at all from non-DPDK?

DPDK is just a high speed packet I/O system on top of normal NICs in most cases.

DPDK can receive any packet that is on the wire if you enable promiscuous mode for that port. If you do not have promiscuous mode enabled then the destination MAC address in the L3 header must match the NIC’s MAC address.

Regards,
Keith