[dpdk-users] Query on handling packets

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Sat Nov 24 17:01:04 CET 2018

> On Nov 22, 2018, at 9:54 AM, Harsh Patel <thadodaharsh10 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Thank you so much for the reply and for the solution.
>
> We used the given code. We were amazed by the pointer arithmetic you used, got to learn something new.
>
> But still we are under performing.The same bottleneck of ~2.5Mbps is seen.
>
> We also checked if the raw socket was using any extra (logical) cores than the DPDK. We found that raw socket has 2 logical threads running on 2 logical CPUs. Whereas, the DPDK version has 6 logical threads on 2 logical CPUs. We also ran the 6 threads on 4 logical CPUs, still we see the same bottleneck.
>
> We have updated our code (you can use the same links from previous mail). It would be helpful if you could help us in finding what causes the bottleneck.

I looked at the code for a few seconds and noticed your TX_TIMEOUT is macro that calls (rte_get_timer_hz()/2014) just to be safe I would not call rte_get_timer_hz() time, but grab the value and store the hz locally and use that variable instead. This will not improve performance is my guess and I would have to look at the code the that routine to see if it buys you anything to store the value locally. If the getting hz is just a simple read of a variable then good, but still you should should a local variable within the object to hold the (rte_get_timer_hz()/2048) instead of doing the call and divide each time.

> [...]
>
> cur_tsc = rte_rdtsc();
>
> next_tsc = cur_tsc + timo; /* Now next_tsc the next time to flush */
>
> while(1) {
>         cur_tsc = rte_rdtsc();
>         if (cur_tsc >= next_tsc) {
>                 flush();
>                 next_tsc += timo;
>         }
>         /* Do other stuff */
> }
>
> For the m_bufPktMap I would use the rte_hash or do not use a hash at all by grabbing the buffer address and subtract the
> mbuf = (struct rte_mbuf *)RTE_PTR_SUB(buf, sizeof(struct rte_mbuf) + RTE_MAX_HEADROOM);
>

> DpdkNetDevice:Write(uint8_t *buffer, size_t length)
> {
>         struct rte_mbuf *pkt;
>         uint64_t cur_tsc;
>
>         pkt = (struct rte_mbuf *)RTE_PTR_SUB(buffer, sizeof(struct rte_mbuf) + RTE_MAX_HEADROOM);
>
>         /* No need to test pkt, but buffer maybe tested to make sure it is not null above the math above */
>
>         pkt->pk_len = length;
>         pkt->data_len = length;
>
>         rte_eth_tx_buffer(m_portId, 0, m_txBuffer, pkt);
>
>         cur_tsc = rte_rdtsc();
>
>         /* next_tsc is a private variable */
>         if (cur_tsc >= next_tsc) {
>                 rte_eth_tx_buffer_flush(m_portId, 0, m_txBuffer);       /* hardcoded the queue id, should be fixed */
>                 next_tsc = cur_tsc + timo; /* timo is a fixed number of cycles to wait */
>         }
>         return length;
> }
>
> DpdkNetDevice::Read()
> {
>         struct rte_mbuf *pkt;
>
>         if (m_rxBuffer->length == 0) {
>                 m_rxBuffer->next = 0;
>                 m_rxBuffer->length = rte_eth_rx_burst(m_portId, 0, m_rxBuffer->pmts, MAX_PKT_BURST);
>
>                 if (m_rxBuffer->length == 0)
>                         return std::make_pair(NULL, -1);
>         }
>
>         pkt = m_rxBuffer->pkts[m_rxBuffer->next++];
>
>         /* do not use rte_pktmbuf_read() as it does a copy for the complete packet */
>
>         return std:make_pair(rte_pktmbuf_mtod(pkt, char *), pkt->pkt_len);
> }
>
> void
> DpdkNetDevice::FreeBuf(uint8_t *buf)
> {
>         struct rte_mbuf *pkt;
>
>         if (!buf)
>                 return;
>         pkt = (struct rte_mbuf *)RTE_PKT_SUB(buf, sizeof(rte_mbuf) + RTE_MAX_HEADROOM);
>
>         rte_pktmbuf_free(pkt);
> }
>
> When your code is done with the buffer, then convert the buffer address back to a rte_mbuf pointer and call rte_pktmbuf_free(pkt); This should eliminate the copy and floating point code. Converting my C code to C++ priceless :-)
>
> Hopefully the buffer address passed is the original buffer address and has not be adjusted.

Regards,
Keith