[dpdk-users] Problem installing rules with counters on MLX5

Georgios Katsikas katsikas.gp at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 14:00:41 CEST 2018

Dear all,

I am trying to install 3 simple rules (to match ICMP, TCP, and UDP flows)
on a Mellanox ConnectX-5 100 GbE NIC using DPDK's flow API.
The rules are as follows:

   1. flow create 0 ingress pattern eth type is 2048 / ipv4 proto spec 1
   proto mask 0x0 / end actions queue index 0 / count / end
   2. flow create 0 ingress pattern eth type is 2048 / ipv4 proto spec 6
   proto mask 0x0 / end actions queue index 0 / count / end
   3. flow create 0 ingress pattern eth type is 2048 / ipv4 proto spec 17
   proto mask 0x0 / end actions queue index 0 / count / end

Only the first rule gets properly installed. The remaining 2 rules throw
the following error:
Caught error type 1 (cause unspecified): hardware refuses to create flow

If I try to incorporate 'count identifier <index> shared 0', I still get
error (with or without shared).
If I try to install the same rules without action count, then everything
works as expected.
Action count on rules that match src/dst IP addresses works fine.
Could you please shed some light on this?

I am using DPDK 18.08 with Mellanox OFED 4.4-2.0.7.0 (latest).

Thanks,
Georgios