[dpdk-users] rte_eth_tx_burst: Can I insert timing gaps

Philipp B philippb.ontour at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 12:44:59 CEST 2018

Maybe I should explain with some ASCII art. It's not about sleeping
just the remaining period of 20ms. This is exactly what I am doing
already, and this works fine.

Think of 20ms intervals like this

|XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX_____|XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX_____

Where '|' is the start of the 20ms interval, X is a packet, and _ is
an idle gap of one packet. (Let's just pretend there are 1000s of Xs
per interval).

As I said, I let the CPU sleep upto the beginning of the interval
('|'). This beginning of interval is the only moment where CPU timing
controls adapter timing. Then I send out a few 1000 packets. In this
phase, I have a few 100 packets buffered by DPDK, so it will not help
to sleep on the CPU.

The pattern above is what I can easily produce just with an OS sleep,
a single buffer pool and rte_eth_tx_burst. What I am looking for, is a
way to e.g. remove every second packet from that pattern, while
keeping the other packet's timings unchanged:

|X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X______|X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X______

Basically, I do not need to transmit anything in the gaps. I just need
the delay. However, as my timing of CPU isn't coupled tightly to the
adapter, sleeping on the cpu will not help. This is intended by
design: I want to blow out a massive number of packets with exact
timing and virtually no CPU requirement.

What I look for is a sleep instruction executed by the adapter, which
is buffered in order with the packets issued by rte_eth_tx_burst.
(Plus some basic math rules how to convert packet sizes to durations,
based on line speeds).