[dpdk-users] ring vdev and secondary process

Tom Barbette barbette at kth.se
Mon Sep 3 16:40:20 CEST 2018

Hi all,

I'm trying to use virtual devices (ring-based PMD, but the underlying system does not matter) between two DPDK processes.

But when I launch the secondary process, I get "RING: Cannot reserve memory". I modified the message to get the rte_errno, which is 17, File exists.  This also happens with testpmd.

I'm using DPDK 18.08. Using the ring API directly works without any problem. But I'd like to use the vdev one to build functional tests.

I tried with the TAP pmd, the device is not available in the secondary process (rte_eth_dev_count_avail() is 0).

Thanks,

Tom