[dpdk-users] dpdk and bulk data (video/audio)

Sofia Baran sofia.baran at gmx.net
Mon Sep 10 13:28:56 CEST 2018

Hi All,

I want/try to us DPDK for transferring larger amount of data, e.g. video
frames which usually are stored within memory buffers with sizes of
several MB (remark: by using huges pages, these buffers could be
physically contiguous).

When looking at the DPDK documentation, library APIs and examples, I
can't find a way/hint how to transfer larger buffers using DPDK without
copying the video buffer fragments to the payload sections of the mbufs
- which results in high CPU loads.

Within the ip_fragmentation example indirect mbufs are used, pointing to
the payload section of a direct mbuf (holding the header). But in my
understanding the maximum size of a mbuf payload is 65KB (uint16_t)!?

I'm pretty new to DPDK so maybe I missed something. I hope that someone
can provide me some hits how to avoid copying the entire payload.

Thanks
Sofia Baran