[dpdk-users] Using dpdk libraries without EAL

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Thu Sep 13 16:45:40 CEST 2018

> On Sep 10, 2018, at 3:05 AM, Charles Ju <charlesyju at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have developed my own packet capture code and would like to just use the
> dpdk libraries such as the ACL Library and mempool libraries. In this case,
> does these libraries require the EAL?

It depends on the code, but I assume it is using the DPDK memory system rte_malloc() and the like.

You will have to replace these calls as the memory subsystem is inited from EAL. Also I assume it maybe calling into other library components and they will have to modified as well.

DPDK is not a collection of functions like libc. The libc library is a collection of functions that are pretty much independent from each other and easy to use in a standalone fashion. DPDK Libraries are not typically written to be standalone as they use other highly optimized routines in DPDK.

It is not to say we should not look at making some parts of DPDK replaceable or be able to be swapped out with other user components. We have done a lot of work to allow external memory managers or hardware based memory in the case of SOCs.

Regards,
Keith