[dpdk-users] Mellanox + DPDK + Docker/Kubernetes

Cliff Burdick shaklee3 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 22:05:28 CET 2019

Hi, I'm trying to get DPDK working inside of a container deployed with
Kubernetes. It works great if I pass hostNetwork: true (effectively
net=host in Docker) to where the container sees all the host interfaces.
The problem with this is you lose all normal Kubernetes networking for
other non-DPDK interfaces by doing this. If I disable host networking, I
get the following error:

EAL: Probing VFIO support...
EAL: PCI device 0000:01:00.0 on NUMA socket 0
EAL:   probe driver: 15b3:1013 net_mlx5
net_mlx5: port 0 cannot get MAC address, is mlx5_en loaded? (errno: No such
device)
net_mlx5: probe of PCI device 0000:01:00.0 aborted after encountering an
error: No such device
EAL: Requested device 0000:01:00.0 cannot be used

I've tried mounting /sys and /dev in the container from the host, and it
still doesn't work. Is there something I can do to get the Mellanox mlx5
driver to work inside a container if it can't see the host interfaces?