[dpdk-users] flow rule rejected by device

Filip Janiszewski contact at filipjaniszewski.com
Sat Feb 16 15:19:59 CET 2019

Hi All,

I have a weird issue with an re-branded Mellanox card (sold as HP, but
MLX hardware: HP InfiniBand FDR/EN 10/40Gb Dual Port 544FLR-QSFP
Adapter) which is failing to start (rte_eth_dev_start) with the
following message:

.
PMD: net_mlx4: 0xebbf40: cannot attach flow rules (code 95, "Operation
not supported"), flow error type 2, cause 0x7f76cd22b680, message: flow
rule rejected by device
.

I can't say what that cause means, any suggestion on how to decode those
numbers? Also, I don't have configured any flow rule (or nothing
related) and the very same code works fine one a ConnectX-4 Lx.

I suspect a firmware compatibility issue, as the HP card is running with
the FW version 2.30.3200 while apparently the Minimum firmware version
required to support DPDK is 2.36.5000:

http://www.mellanox.com/related-docs/prod_software/MLNX_DPDK_Quick_Start_Guide_v16.11_1.5.pdf

(Page 8).

The HP card is running on Mellanox firmware.

Did anyone encountered a similar issue and can comment if the firmware
can be the problem here?

Thanks

--
BR, Filip