[dpdk-users] mlx5 flow MARK action does not work with RSS

Tom Barbette barbette at kth.se
Thu Jan 31 13:54:50 CET 2019

On 2019-01-31 09:30, Tom Barbette wrote:
> I therefore tried different things and found that the problem was a
> misconfiguration of the RSS action. Thanks!

Actually, it was because the rule installation fails when the flow is
not classifying on "ipv4", because of the RSS parameter.

testpmd> flow create 0 ingress pattern eth type is 0x0800 / end actions
mark id 1 / rss / end
Caught error type 1 (cause unspecified): hardware refuses to create
flow: Invalid argument

testpmd> flow create 0 ingress pattern eth type is 0x0800 / ipv4 / end
actions mark id 1 / rss / end
Flow rule #0 created

Isn't it technically possible to have a "default" action? Mark the flow
then let the packet be as usual? That would be so much better than
tracking which rules classify which protocol and change the action
according to that... The NIC does it by itself already...

Thanks,
Tom