[dpdk-users] Why flow can not be created?

Hideyuki Yamashita yamashita.hideyuki at ntt-tx.co.jp
Tue Jul 23 08:26:37 CEST 2019

Hello Ye,

Thanks for your quick reponse.
Please see inline tagged with [Hideyuki]

> Hi,
>
> On 07/19, Hideyuki Yamashita wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I am trying to use rte_flow with i40e PMD.
> >
> >What I want to achieve is like following.
> >
> > ---(dst MAC=XorY && VID=AorB) ---> PHY --default(VID=B)--> Queue0
> >                                                                 VID=A && dstMAC=X----> Queue1
> >                                                                 VID=A && dstMAC=Y----> Queue2
> >
> >I tried to create flow using testpmd, but failed.
> >
> >testpmd> flow create 0 ingress pattern eth dst is 11:22:33:44:55:66 type mask 0xffff / vlan tci is 150 / end quactions inqueue index 1 / end
> >Caught error type 13 (specific pattern item): cause: 0x17ff5e200, Invalid MAC_addr mask.3, : Invalid argument
> >testpmd>
>
> It failed due to the flow used in your example would use i40e fdir filter, and
> currently it doesn't support dst MAC.
[Hideyuki]
Are there any special reason why dst MAC is NOT supported by
i40e_flow_parse_fdir_filter()?

Maybe this is related to the following my original question.
> >Q2. All the NICs supported by i40e-PMD do NOT provide above operation and packet classification features?

> >Note that I could create flow which matches with dst Mac address.
> >I could also create flow which matches with VID.
>
> If you create flow with dst MAC address only, then it's handled by ethertype
> filter which supports dst MAC.
[Hideyuki]
Yes, I confirmed it.

Are there any way to achieve my goal by combining two flows
(one for dst MAC and other for VID)?

Also it is appreciated if you or someone can provide answer
for my question below.
> >Q3. Are there any PMD/NIC which allow above operation?

Thanks!

BR,
Hideyuki Yamashita
NTT TechnoCross