[dpdk-users] Invalid NUMA socket when running helloworld on VM linux

Changchun Zhang changchun.zhang at oracle.com
Sat Mar 2 23:51:58 CET 2019

Hi Gurus,

I launched a virtual box based linux on my windows, and my PC is thinkpad T480.

After configured the huge pages as number of 2MBs and the cpu number as 4 on the vm linux, I build DPDK and run the example of hellowworld but get the below output, in which I saw the "invalid NUMA socket". What does it mean and does it matter, as I see the hello from core # is also printed.

[~ build]$ sudo ./helloworld

EAL: Detected 4 lcore(s)

EAL: Detected 1 NUMA nodes

EAL: Multi-process socket /var/run/dpdk/rte/mp_socket

EAL: Probing VFIO support...

EAL: PCI device 0000:00:03.0 on NUMA socket -1

EAL:   Invalid NUMA socket, default to 0

EAL:   probe driver: 8086:100e net_e1000_em

hello from core 1

hello from core 2

hello from core 3

hello from core 0