[dpdk-users] ojectes from the mempool are disorderd by rte_mempool_generic_get

Van Haaren, Harry harry.van.haaren at intel.com
Tue Mar 24 11:54:30 CET 2020

Hi Jie,

Mempools don't provide any promise of dequeuing objects in a specific order. The mempool data-structure actually has a per-lcore cache which allows recycling buffers on a per-lcore basis, providing better performance (and certainly breaking your ordering hopes).

If you need strict I/O ordering from a datastructure, I suggest using a rte_ring. The ring datastructure is a FIFO, so the first packets you enqueue will be the first to dequeue too. Regardless of the rte_ring_dequeue_burst() size parameter, calling 1x 10 times, or 10x calls with 1 packet, the mbufs returned will be in the same order.

Hope that helps, -Harry