[dpdk-dev] Decoupling DPDK from EAL

Jason Vassbender jason.vassbender at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 22:50:44 CET 2013

Hello,

I am trying to integrate DPDK into an existing application in order to
improve packet processing latency, but it is proving rather difficult
because of DPDK's dependency on EAL's thread management and bootstrap
mechanism. Our application already has its own framework for managing
threads and their affinities/priorities, IPC, timers and its own bootstrap
mechanism (not necessarily via command line arguments), we wish to integrate
DPDK as an alternative network back-end, but it wants to to take over our entire
way of doing things.

Are there any plans to decouple DPDK's core functionality away from
EAL so that it can be more easily integrated into existing
applications?

-Jason