[dpdk-dev] generic load balancing

Michael Quicquaro michael.quicquaro at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 18:53:11 CET 2013

Hi all,
I am writing a dpdk application that will receive packets from one
interface and process them.  It does not forward packets in the traditional
sense.  However, I do need to process them at full line rate and therefore
need more than one core.  The packets can be somewhat generic in nature and
can be nearly identical (especially at the beginning of the packet).  I've
used the rxonly function of testpmd as a model.

I've run into problems in processing a full line rate of data since the
nature of the data causes all the data to be presented to only one core.  I
get a large percentage of dropped packets (shows up as Rx-Errors in "port
stats") because of this.  I've tried modifying the data so that packets
have different UDP ports and that seems to work when I use --rss-udp

My questions are:
1) Is there a way to configure RSS so that it alternates packets to all
configured cores regardless of the packet data?

2)  Where is the best place to learn more about RSS and how to configure
it? I have not found much in the DPDK documentation.

Thanks for the help,
- Mike