[dpdk-dev] generic load balancing

François-Frédéric Ozog ff at ozog.com
Wed Dec 4 22:04:59 CET 2013

Hi,

As far as I can tell, this is really hardware dependent. Some hash functions
allow uplink and downlink packets of the same "session" to go to the same
queue (I know Chelsio can do this).

For the Intel card, you may find what you want in:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ethernet-controllers/82599-10-gbe-con
troller-datasheet.html

Other cards require NDA or other agreements to get details of RSS.

If you have a performance problem, may I suggest you use kernel 3.10 then
monitor system activity with "perf" command. For instance you can start with
"perf top -a" this will give you nice information. Then your creativity will
do the rest ;-) You may be surprised what comes on the top hot points...
(the most unexpected hot function I found here was Linux syscall
gettimeofday!!!)

François-Frédéric