[dpdk-dev] vmxnet3-usermap related query

Damien Millescamps damien.millescamps at 6wind.com
Tue Jul 2 20:36:43 CEST 2013

Hi Rashmin,

>From the kernel version macro checking in VMware kernel module for
vmxnet3, the supported versions goes up to 3.2.0. This is based on the
ESXi 5.0.0u2 opensource package.

So there are three solutions:
- use a kernel <= 3.2.0 for testing
- cherry-pick the commits from git.kernel.org for the vmxnet3 driver.
There may be some conflicts since the one in the kernel is not identical
to the one provided by VMware. It could be easier to pinpoint the commit
to cherry-pick if you can provide a build log.
- You can send a request to VMware to get a newer version of the vmxnet3
kernel module. This is what you can find on their website when trying to
download GPL code related to vSphere:

"you may obtain a copy of the source code corresponding to the binaries for such open source components and modifications thereto, if any, (the "Source Files"), by sending a request, with your name and address to: VMware, Inc., 3401 Hillview Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94304, United States of America. All such requests should clearly specify: OPEN SOURCE FILES REQUEST, Attention General Counsel."

Damien Millescamps