[dpdk-dev] rte_eth_dev_count() returns 0

Henry Wang wang_hr at neusoft.com
Fri May 10 03:18:04 CEST 2013

As far as I known, DPDK(1.2.3) only supports the following NICs:
(1) Intel 82576, 82580, I350 chipset based NICs;
(2) Intel 82599, X540T, X520T chipset based NICs;
(3) virtual NICs generated by SR-IOV from (2).

If the NICs on your C220 M3 is one of (2), you can run l2fwdvf OR l3fwdvf
successfully with SR-IOV enabled in ESXi.
And I do not know wheather ESXi 5.0 VMM has SR-IOV function or not.

Further more, please reference to DPDK release notes.
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/release-notes/intel-dpdk-release-notes.pdf

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Rui Vaz (ruvaz) <ruvaz at cisco.com> wrote:

>  Hi dev-dpdk,****
>
> ** **
>
> I am following a Intel DPDK Step by Step Instruction found here:
> http://www.slideshare.net/hisaki/intel-dpdk-step-by-step-instructions****
>
> My Hello app from the DPDK examples runs fine, but I get the following
> error when running the l2fwd app:****
>
> ** **
>
> “EAL: Error – exiting with code: 1****
>
> Cause: no Ethernet ports – bye”****
>
> ** **
>
> The rte_eth_dev_count() call returns 0, I am using a CentOS 6.3 Virtual
> Machine on VMWare esxi 5.0 on a Cisco UCS C220 M3 which comes with Xeon
> E5-2600.  ****
>
> ** **
>
> I would really appreciate If you could provide some help to solve this
> issue.****
>
> ** **
>
> Thank you,****
>
> Rui****
>
> ** **

is intended only for the use of the intended recipient and may be confidential and/or privileged of
Neusoft Corporation, its subsidiaries and/or its affiliates. If any reader of this communication is
not the intended recipient, unauthorized use, forwarding, printing,  storing, disclosure or copying
immediately notify the sender by return e-mail, and delete the original message and all copies from
your system. Thank you.