[dpdk-dev] announcing rump kernel TCP/IP stack for DPDK

Robert Bays robert at vyatta.com
Thu May 23 22:31:51 CEST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Antti Kantee <pooka at iki.fi>
Date: Thursday, May 23, 2013 11:53 AM
To: "dev at dpdk.org" <dev at dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] announcing rump kernel TCP/IP stack for DPDK

>On 23.05.2013 20:39, Daniel Cegiełka wrote:
>> 2013/5/23 Robert Bays <robert at vyatta.com>:
>>
>>> Of course.  And many more times than that.  This is one more option
>>>for us and it is BSD licensed.
>>>
>>> Ultimately, we will probably need a TCP stack in there.
>>
>> indeed, but what do you mean by the TCP stack? I hope not the BSD
>>sockets :)
>> rx/tx bufs+simple API is all you need.
>
>Luckily, ripping out sockets and replacing them with a "high-speed
>aware" API is easier than starting from a simple API and implementing
>IPv{4,6}, TCP, IPsec, ...

Ugh.  We recently switched email to #$@ outlook which goes out if its way
to hide the recipient email address from me.  I meant to forward this
email to the Vyatta dev team which is also dev at .  Sorry about spamming the
list.

The reason for me forwarding this to my team was that it has been on my
list to research TCP reassembly in DPDK to enable things like application
layer classification.