[dpdk-dev] preallocation of void ** obj_p of rte_ring_dequeue

Cyril Cressent cyril.cressent at intel.com
Tue Nov 5 11:33:25 CET 2013

On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 06:15:01PM +0800, Jose Gavine Cueto wrote:

> When using *static int rte_ring_dequeue( structe rte_ring * r, void **
> obj_p )*, is the user presumed to allocate obj_p , or does this method
> allocates this obj_p ?

This method doesn't allocate anything ; you have to allocate the object
you want to fill yourself.

You can find more details about how to work with rings there:

- DPDK Programmer's Guide (Chapter 5 - Ring Library)
- DPDK API Documentation for rte_ring.h

Both of which are accessible at http://dpdk.org/doc

Quite a few sample applications (examples/ directory in the DPDK
distribution) also make use of rings, notably the quota_watermark one,
so it's also a good place to look at.

On a side note, it looks like the API reference page for rte_ring.h is
broken? It's missing a lot of functions. I'll look into it if I get a
chance.
http://dpdk.org/doc/api/rte__ring_8h.html#func-members

Cyril