[dpdk-dev] 4 Traffic classes per Pipe limitation

Ariel Rodriguez arodriguez at callistech.com
Fri Nov 29 20:50:34 CET 2013

         Thanks for the answer, your explanation was perfect. Unfortunally
, the client requirements are those, we need at traffic control level
around 64 traffic metering controlers (traffic classes) at subscriber level.
          Each subscriber have a global plan rate (each pipe have the same
token bucket configuration), inside that plan there are different rules for
the traffic (traffic classes). For Example, facebook traffic, twitter
traffic, whatsapp traffic have different plan rates lower than the plan
global rate but different than the others protocols. We could group those
in one traffic class, but still the 4 traffic classes is a strong
limitation for us, beacause each protocol mapped to a traffic class share
the same configuration (facebook traffic, twitter traffic have had the same
rate and more, they compete for the  same traffic class rate).
          We have to compete against cisco bandwith control solution and at
least we need to offer the same features. The cisco solution its a DPI but
also a traffic control solution, its permit priorization of traffic and
manage the congestion inside the network per subscriber and per application
service. So apperently the dpdk qos scheduller doesnt fit for our needs.
          Anyway, i still doesnt understand the traffic classes limitation.
Inside the dpdk code of the qos scheduler i saw this:

/** Number of queues per pipe traffic class. Cannot be changed. */
#define RTE_SCHED_QUEUES_PER_TRAFFIC_CLASS    4

         I follow where the code use that define and except for the struct
rte_sched_port_hierarchy where its mandatory a bitwise field of two (0...3)
, i dont see where is the limitation here (except for performance). Its
worth to change the code to support more than 4 traffic classes, well i
could try to change the code more precisely jejeje.  I just want to know if
there are another limitation than a design desicion of that number. I dont
want to make the effort for nothing maybe you guys can help me to
understand why the limitation.
          I strongly use the dpdk solution for feed our dpi solution, i
wont change that because work greats!!! but its difficult to develop a
traffic control managment from scratch and integrated with the dpdk in a
clean way without touching the dpdk api, you guys just done that with the
qos scheduler, i dont want to reinvent the wheel.
          Again thank you for the patience, and for your expertise.

Regards,

Ariel Horacio Rodriguez. Callis Technologies.