[dpdk-dev] Using multi-queue with RSS on X540 VF

Anant Mudambi amudambi at paloaltonetworks.com
Sat Dec 13 02:44:36 CET 2014

Hi all,
I am using DPDK 1.7.0.
Qemu-KVM system with the Intel 10G X540 NIC; host has the Linux ixgbe PF driver and a guest is using a VF with the DPDK ixgbevf PMD (uio).
I am trying to configure multiple (2 for now) receive queues on the VF and use RSS.
I see packets coming only to queue 0 for some reason. Some questions about this:

1] I see that most of the initial configuration to make multi-queue + RSS work is done in ixgbe_dev_mq_rx_configure()
     [e.g. Setting up the redirect table and the MRQC register]. However, only the non-VF ixgbe_dev_rx_init() calls the above function;
     ixgbevf_dev_rx_init() doesn't configure RSS-related hardware. Don't we need to do this configuration to use RSS on a VF?
2] Even after configuring the RSS-related hardware in ixgbevf PMD, packets only come to queue 0. I printed out the RSS-type and RSS-hash-value
     fields from the write back Rx descriptor and they are both set to 0. So for some reason no RSS hash is being done for any packets.
3] Has anyone seen this kind of configuration work (multi-queue + RSS + VF)? I have an X540 NIC but has this worked on any other NIC for anyone?
4] Also any ideas on how to debug this problem further?

Thanks,
Anant